Fumofumo san

I still remembered my first encounter with a fumofumo san. It was inside a toy store in Ueno, Tokyo. A mugugu hung lazily over a wooden rod, staring at me as if he wants to know who I am. Ever since, I was captivated by this enchanted stuffed animal. Are you a fan of fumofumo san too? I'd love to hear all about it! Please feel free to leave me a message!

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Why are they called FumoFumo san



I am really curious in why these lovely stuffed animals are called fumofumo sans, so I went and asked a Japanese friend. Well, first of all, "san" is the title for the name of the person, it's similar to Mr. or Miss in English. And for "fumofumo", it's the feeling of something really soft. Which makes a lot of sense since fumofumo san are made out of some really really soft materials.

However, I really want to know the authentic reason for why they are call that, so I went to the Shinada website and found this out in their description of fumofumo san:

わ こしたもの.
fuwafuwa mokomokoshitamono.

Do you see the connections now? Fuwafuwa means fluffy, while mokomoko means pure tofu (by goggle translate). So basically fumofumo san are fluffy and pure tofu thing. From this, the Shinada company derived a short form to name lovely creatures, and that's why they are known as fumofumo san now.

(image taken from http://www.shinada.net/)



No comments:

Post a Comment