Fumofumo san

I still remembered my first encounter with a fumofumo san. It was inside a toy store in Ueno, Tokyo. A mugugu hung lazily over a wooden rod, staring at me as if he wants to know who I am. Ever since, I was captivated by this enchanted stuffed animal. Are you a fan of fumofumo san too? I'd love to hear all about it! Please feel free to leave me a message!

Monday, June 28, 2010

Give Us Some Clothes!


As we all know, fumofumo san are naked, just like many other stuffed animals. As the main function of a stuffed animal is to be hugged, exposing as much as their soft and smooth surface is perfectly normal. Fumofumo san, who have especially soft texture, this is one of their ultimate weapons to capture the heart of the user. Consequently, there is really no need in decorating them with the extra gadgets, as it will only take away the aesthetics (specifically the sense of touch) of these lovely creatures.

Nevertheless, as we all see, the Shinada company thinks otherwise, and I do have to admit that some of them are quite creative. For example, the onsen (hot spring) monkeys is definitely my favorite.



The Eskimos attire and the rain coats are simply cute too.



However, imagine hugging them, it wouldn't feel the same, would it? The stickiness of the raincoat, the roughness of the Eskimos attire, the extra decorations that doesn't go seamlessly with the the body of the stuffed animal, etc.



The special editions are cute in itself, but I think it is taking away the charms of a fumofumo san. I would be more than happy to get one of these editions, but they will be admired in a different way (i.e. sitting on a shelf as a collection item). Obviously, this is from an adult perspective. To a child, the extra gadgets are playable items too, one that can be exchange in the sacrifice of the pleasant touch of fumofumo san.

All images taken from http://www.shinada.net/

1 comment:

  1. Yeah!! A new post!! It ha been such a long time. ohhh!! How I love fumofumosans!!!

    ReplyDelete